Volunteering on Activities to Help Out

If you are interested in helping us through volunteering for an activity, please go to (https://can.lotsahelpinghands.com/c/728852/ then click on "Join a Community" and fill out the form. Once we approve your pending membership request, you will be notified via email with instructions for signing in, to see and volunteer to help. There's also other information and pictures there too. Thank you!

Saturday, September 26, 2015

On Hospice Care

The last time I posted, Steve was weak but getting around some.  Unfortunately, his journey is moving much faster than I ever imagined.  Today, I became so concerned that I called the hospice and asked them to send someone out to us.  We were supposed to see our regular nurse for the first time on Monday, but I sensed we couldn't wait til then.  Time for help. Loni came out and got us both settled, more comfortable, and explained everything I can do for his comfort.  Just what I needed.  Steve and I asked her directly "how long"?  She didn't know exactly, but said it's days. He's in the stage where I cannot leave him unattended, not even for a short errand. Also, it's time to call in family. His brothers are on their way but won't arrive for several days.  Steve's brother's partner is a licensed nurse practitioner  who has first hand experience helping during the dying process and she's coming tonight to be with us.  I about cried from relief and gratitude!  

Many of you have expressed a desire to visit.  I'll be checking with him day to day, hour to hour on his energy levels and he'll let me know what he wants to do.   Meanwhile, if you would like to say anything to him, send a message and we will read them to him.  

So, the next steps are before us and we will all do what we can, each in our own way.  

7 comments:

  1. Dear Steve, I am so sad about this journey you are on. I have always enjoyed seeing you there supporting Dixie at so many PWD events.
    praying for peace for you and your loved ones.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear dear Steve and Dixie,
    My heart is with you in this tender time. Even in the short time I have known you both, your spirits have been great gifts to my life. Your love for each other is amazing. In this sad and unknown journey time I hope the love we are all sending you can help ease some of the fear and apprehension. This world and all spirits and times are enriched for sharing the time we have had with you Steve. We will not forget you, and we will keep care of Dixie when you can no longer. Rest easy. Love to you, all 4. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Steve and Dixie, Ewan and I are thinking of you during this time. Steve, we send love and light to you, our gentle, kind, brilliant friend.
    ~ Carol Crews

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, you have always had a gentle and positive influence on me in ways you may never know. You have forever left your mark on me. Your creativity, insights, kindness and more have made me a better person. You are a part of me, as I am a part of my children. What ever happens you have indirectly impacted them. You will always live on through those you have touched and those they have touched.....

    Thank you. I love you my friend.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve, you made a positive mark in my life and in so many you unassumingly touched, as a beautiful human being and as a smart professional. So sad to see you go, so happy I was lucky to work with you. I wish you a swift and peaceful journey, love to you and Dixie. José

    ReplyDelete